Friday, July 9, 2010

Wish



This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 12; the twelfth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.


A day doesn’t go by when we are not wishing for something or the other. Today I wish it would rain, tomorrow I would wish for the rain to stop. When I look back at what I wished for and look forward to the things I now wish for, it is not about whether or not my wishes came true or not, it is more about a pattern that exists.

My Wish When I was:-

9 yrs old- I was in class IV and there was nothing I wanted more than entering class VI and being a senior wing student in school.

15 yrs old-I was in class X now and all I wanted was to leave school as the world outside school was supposed to be heaven where I was not required to wear school uniform, where I would not have to give class tests, where I could bunk classes whenever I wanted to and where I will be with a girl whom I will start dating and have a good time with.

17 yrs old-A non-medical student in class XII can’t wish for more than getting admitted into an IIT. I wanted the same, just that I didn’t want to work hard for it.

20 yrs old- After not making it to an IIT- infact not even coming close, I ended up studying chemical engineering at Panjab University. I thought, “Maybe IIT never was my type of a thing, I am tailor made for an MBA.” Hence the latest on my wishlist was a wish to join an IIM.

23 yrs old- Now I am in an IIM and my wishes include a good job which pays well, a good business of my own someday, publishing a book someday........

When I look back at what I wished for and look forward to the things I now wish for, it is not about whether or not my wishes came true or not, it is more about a pattern that exists.

When I was a 9 year old, my wish was to go to a higher class in school. It was a wish which eventually had to come true and I knew that. But still my mind could not think beyond the things that just had to happen. So maybe, I only wish was if time could run faster or if I could skip a class or two in between.

At 15, my wishes started to evolve. I was starting to get fed up with the routine. I wanted to be independent & didn’t want any boundaries around me. My wishes now had a “wish” in them. They were things which I didn’t know will happen or not but I loved to think that they will. But if we look at the larger scheme of things, one day all this also had to happen. I may or may not have found a girlfriend in class XI/XII but someday I had to, a wife if not a girlfriend. So, the wants and fantasies of life were still real.

As I entered my late teens, I realised the importance of studies and career or rather others made me realise. If IIT was the aim in XII, IIM was the aim in graduation. I didn’t get what I wanted in XII but do I regret it now, No. I had a great time during my graduation and now I feel,” Thank God I didn’t make it to an IIT.”

Now, being the second year of my MBA and the final year of classroom education, I still have similar desires and wishes. Admission has turned into a job; a girl has changed into a published book and so on....

Putting everything into perspective, one thing that comes across clearly is that no wish is the “ultimate” wish. Had I not got into engineering, I might have got into arts and might have already written a book which I now dream of. Our wishes keep changing as we move on in life. A wish is granted, we wish for more. A wish is not granted, we again wish for the same or we find an alternative wish...

Wish I Knew what to wish for
Wish I knew what I want
Wish for wish you can & wish you will



The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.

28 comments:

Sharan Saini said...

thats an awesome piece of writing.. !! good luck with the book.. i hope i can help ;)

Deepika said...

thats nice.. its nice when wishes come true.. i hope my wish to reach an IIm also materializes.. :)

Suhaas said...

nicely put .. well done..

Pramathesh said...

#iLike

aativas said...

Very true... we keep on wishing different things and every time we feel that the present wish is the ultimate one.. but there is always life (and wish) beyond that!

Dolly said...

Reallii nice.. Act cud relate it ma wishes.. and the best compliment for the writer is alwz wen the reader cn act find himself in the words.. i thnk u did dat..grt wrk.. Gud Luck:)

Someone is Special said...

"Wish I Knew what to wish for
Wish I knew what I want
Wish for wish you can & wish you will"

No words to comment.

I wish you a good luck for BATOM - 12

Saravana Kumar - Wish

Yours Frendly,
Saravana Kumar M

Vikram Pyati said...

Too good...

All the best for BATOM-12.

swayambhu said...

You know, its not about wshes I guess...just iron will...thats what makes a wish come true.

Gauri said...

Liked it! True story with most of us.

Good Wishes for BAT12!

Gkam - Wish

Brijender Singh said...

Hazaron khwahishen aisi...??
Well said Adarsh ! But at the end of the day, there is nothing needed for happiness other than good health and a bad memory !!
(and Boston,of course !!)

annucool15 said...

oh our wishes do keep getting better and bigger. the best thing is to keep wishing... if we never wish, we'll never feel elated / disappointed at all!

Vee said...

"wish is granted, we wish for more. A wish is not granted, we again wish for the same or we find an alternative wish..." i like this statement. nice writeup.

Wish @ Psyche's Visage - Vee

adarshs said...

@sharan...sure u can :)

@deeps...work hard n it will...best o luck

@aativas..right,human desires can never end..

@swayambhu....i appreciate ur views but it is nt always d case,dere always is some amount o luck involved.someone will always be first among equals..

adarshs said...

@brij sir....bt we hav this odd habit of searchin for happiness in anything but these things :)

@anuradha....totally agree wit u...if we dont wish, life will become so monotonous..

@vee....thanks..must say ur own "wish" is just amazing...

@suhaas,pramathesh,dolly,saravana,vikram,gkam...thanks a lot

Guddu said...

Very practical Blog, and liked the pay u have collected your thoughts from your past.

http://frescobyme.blogspot.com/2010/07/wish.html

All da best for BATOM and do comment.

UB said...

Wish I Knew what to wish for
Wish I knew what I want
Wish for wish you can & wish you will

Amazing lines! I like the honesty in your writing style.
Best Wishes for BAT12!

Mahesh Aadhya Kalal said...

Impressive!!! ....
loved the last three lines..

D2 said...

Lovely post.
We always wish for different things in life as we age and mature and as our life and everything around us keeps changing.
In an NIT now and studying to get into an IIM myself, I can specially relate to what you've written about; makes me like it even more!
And loved the way you decided to end the post.
All the best with the BAT-12.

Baatein unkahi si said...

Very rightly said
"Wish for wish you can & wish you will"
These lines brings out the essence of the word Wish.
All the best for BAT-12

Anonymous said...

"ur wishes keep changing as we move on in life. a wish is granted, we wish for more. a wish is not granted, we again wish for the same or we find an alternative wish"..
so truly said..
nicely written, best wishes for BAT12

Maverick said...

a nice chronicle of wishes..wonderfully crafted....luvd it...tc! :)

Wish ya luck fr BAT 12.....following u! :)

Yamini Meduri said...

thanks for writing friend...you brought to me many sweet memories of the past..!!

nicely written...!!

Vipul Grover said...

Hey while reading all the posts, read one wr one blogger hs difrntiated between wish and wishes analogous to ur ultimate wish and wishes.. Its interesting 2 c how 2 ppl end up interpreting the topic in same manner.. Thts the beauty of blogaton :)
A vry nice post Adarsh, its true, we all yearn 2 know wats our ultimate wish.. keep participating and enriching this event :)

astrosunilnomy said...

this was a very different post, good one, our wishes keep changing with time, we will be very lucky if we can see in advance what we may want in life say after or 10 years , good luck for blog-a-ton

adarshs said...

@guddu....i feel our own past is d best way o drawing inspiration :)
@UB....thanks a lot :)
@mahesh...thanks
@D2...All d best :)
@dil se...thanks
@vivek...thanks
@maverick...thanks..my pleasure
@meduri...the pleasure is all mine :)
@vipul...thank a lot vipul...i sure will be regular frm now on :)
@sunil...thanks

Siddhesh Kabe said...

Wish I Knew what to wish for
You sure know you have a wish...o_O

nice...:D

Cheers,
Sid
Holy Cow

Sidra Sayeed said...

Everything in life is relative and ever changing. What is a wish for u might be mundane for another. What you wish for today might change tomorrow. Therefore success should ground you and failure should inspire you. I also enjoyed the rhythmic intervals.